tok cok sing song play mahjong

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Einstein's Big Idea

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usWatched about 30 seconds of the the documentary on CNA. (forced to switch back to Zong Yi Da Ge Da)

Anyway, there was this scene. (The words are not exact reproduction, I cannot remember lah, agar agar)

Some guy says: We think that you should stop coming up with these grand theories...focus your attention on specific areas instead...

Einstein says: But I'm not interested in deez spectrum or deez chemical, I juss want to know, (eyes light up) how *God* created deez world!

I'll wager, anyone who is doing science-related courses is feeling this way right now. This is a real quote from Einstein:

"My interest in science was always essentially limited to the study of principles...That I have published so little is due to this same circumstance, as the great need to grasp principles has caused me to spend most of my time on fruitless pursuits."

Yes, what I study right now, having to wade through long-winded journals and papers, nothing much that can I can say "Yess yess, vely exciteeng! (red alert einstein style)" or "Deez iz eet! Ze iron curtain! (same style)" Citations, citations, citations. Knowledge built one level on top of another, so high up until the person on the ground cannot see it all at once, he must slowly climb his way up. Oh well, just have to grin and bear it. I hope that in future I will be able to find an area of research that I am genuinely interested in...


Other points:
1. There is quite a famous picture of Einstein where he sticks his tongue out at the camera. Taken when he was 70+ (I think?) He got tired of the photographer asking him to smile after 19 (I think?) shots.

2. Einstein was Jewish but believed in the existence of *a* God, not *the* God. And a God who maintained natural order but not the actions or fates of humans.

3. I think next time when I go further backpacking I carry a picture of Einstein in my wallet and ask those ppl in remote area "who iz deez?" to test them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home