tok cok sing song play mahjong

Monday, March 06, 2006

Where are Teresa's RIches?

I wanted to quote Mother Teresa on this blog some time ago, for I believed she was a truly wei da person. Then when I googled to find her exact quote I found other unexpected stuff.

link

Fact #1: Many people have donated to Teresa's organisation, Missionaries of Charity in India.

Fact #2: Mother Teresa lived a life of poverty. i.e. she practiced what she preached, living together with the poor.

Allegation #1: Mother's Teresa's homes are in poor conditions. Her belief was that those in pain should die "naturally". Just by reading off the Internet: (1)The official groups involved (MoC, Teresa when still alive) have not explicitly confirmed or denied this. (2)In fact nobody, supporters of MoC or otherwise, has denied this allegation.

(3)Who has confirmed this allegation then? An often used example is ex-editor Roger Fox of the "prestigious UK medical journal, Lancet", reportedly made a visit to Teresa's homes. Lancet checks out okay on Google, Roger Fox I cannot find his credentials. Again, all this are based on internet sources, only way to confirm is to actually go to Calcutta for yourself and take a look. The most famous critic of Teresa is Christopher Hitchens. Wiki him. The Church employed him to play "devil's advocate" (take the role of the opposition) when considering whether Teresa should be given sainthood or something like that. (actual word is 'beatification', but I dun noe the different levels.)

Following the above 2 facts and single allegation (can be confirmed / debunked by a visit to India):

Speculation: So much money from donations, go where? Missionary activities. e.g. more churches. Not to medicine, health care etc.

My personal opinion: Teresa really believed in what she did for those who needed help, and she helped them in the way she thought best, which to me...was wrong. To me, basically letting people die. From her religious point of view which emphasizes an eventual return to the paradise created by God, it can be justified. But those who were sick and dying, not all are of the same faith, and not all really choose to die. To me, it is taking a belief to an extreme...directly imposing it on people's lives.

**This post is not an attack on Catholicism/Christianity, nor Catholics/Christians. Would greatly appreciate if you clarify with me if you have anything to say, thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno about Roger Fox, but the Lancet is the most prestigious medical journal in circulation :P

6:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home