Goals in life...
Been wanting to post since peanut posted... But lazy to do so till now...
What's the purpose in going to school everyday? This question has been constantly popping up in my mind.. To me, the purpose of going to school everyday is to meet csq, edsoon, peanut and kevin, to talk cock and play cards... Seriously, if i am not taking the same course as them, i would forsee myself skipping school whenever i can, because i don't see a pt in doing so..
Why do u go to school everyday, only to be disillusioned and surrounded by muggers whose main concerns are academic excellence, though i must say that they are not wrong in doing so and they have every right to pursue what they want.. To me, the only reason i'm still studying is to get a degree and be done with it, since an A-level certificate is practically worthless in our society...
In the past, i used to boycott lectures and most tutorials, but still put in effort for my lab reports, since i need it to pull up my grades... But after getting back my first lab report, I simply concluded that the way the reports are marked and graded is simply not worth my effort.. Why should i put in effort only to see myself getting below average grades because the marker's focus and marking criteria is on something insignificant, while disregarding the overall quality of the report..
Personally, i feel that the purpose of education has been lost in NUS to a certain extent, due to its overemphasis on academic excellence and the mugging culture .. Mugging might seem to be an ideal solution to getting good grades, but i believe that there's more to life than mugging and I still think that ultimately with flair, one will be able to do well..
Currently, i think i have sort of lost all of my motivation to study.. My studies is in a complete mess now, in fact i will be glad if i can score 20/90 for my CN midterm, which i completely boycotted and even gave away 20/30 marks for the giveaway qn, because i didn't bother to read the question properly and just want to be done with it... I really need all the flair i have to make a comeback...
Perhaps, part of the reason why i completely lose interest in my studies, is because i don't forsee myself working as an engineer, so it doesn't really matters to me whether i know my engineering stuff.. Maybe for the first few years after i graduate, i might just work as an enginner, but ultimately i believe that my interest lies in the stock market..
My main goal now is to just push myself along to do reasonably for my studies and just graduate, go out to work and amass the capital i require to buildup a decent portfolio and investements and after that i can just do whatever i want and survive comfortably based on the compounded returns, dividends etc...
And on to what i have been doing, which is the part which i believe OCC would be most interested in..
Been sort of devoting myself to helping my friend... In fact i'm so nice and selfless to her that i can't really believe it myself at times.. Her family is rather dysfunctional and her grades were in a complete mess etc.. But through my efforts I can see that her outlook towards life has been much more optimistic and she's showing steady improvements in her studies as well.. Its rather satisfactory to really help someone and see your efforts paying off...
Personally, I feel that helping someone is definitely more meaningful than spending my time mugging and in a sense the sacrifice i made is rather worthwhile... Before u all start having skewed thoughts, i must clarify that i'm doing this purely as a friend.. (Shall end my post here and go sleep..)

4 Comments:
"the purpose of going to school everyday is to meet csq, edsoon, peanut and kevin"...WAT?! NO WENHOO?! SOB
On mugging: I have some thoughts, but I think best left for another time.
Ok anyways, here's a quote that came to mind while reading. Just for you:
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded." --Anonymous
2:28 AM
It is also said that it's better to help one person than to toil for the unnamed masses - how true is it, I do not know.
12:15 PM
Well, I don't like to study also... now in computer science because I still have slight interest in programming and graphics etc, basically anything to do with gaming, so I must say I understand how you feel.
10:00 PM
Oh and just a bynote, I am depending rather much on flair now because seriously, I don't see the need to devote so much time to studying. 1 thing though, I do have a bit of interest in the subject that's why I can survive.
10:10 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home