tok cok sing song play mahjong

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ilango Letter 26 09 06

Jeffrey Lim just called me at 9am.

1. For these few years, the procedure is gana caught play game / watch porn in tech lab, students need to get their parents to sign a letter, and pay a $10 fine with receipt given. The $10 goes to "student needy fund" (direct quote).

2. Regarding ilango and the fines, "other teachers also know about it" (direct quote). From his following elaboration I think he was referring to the mini-fines during class which were later stopped. Not sure.

3. "My personal opinion is that he won't pocket any of the money lah", in the end someone has to "pay the bills". Then I asked about the possibly unrecorded fines e.g. $10 in Java camp and $80 fines for Lawrence and Lewis (normal is $40). These are possibly unrecorded? He said he will go check. Me: "It's hard to track down, right?" Mr. Lim: "Yah it's hard, but I'll try my best."

4. "We have no further dealings with him", "we will take note, if anybody comes and asks us about him". I said Ilango has a company which does business with some MOE schools, what if we want to send a letter to MOE, can the school help us? He advised me to be extremely sure of our case first, because its our word against theirs. "It could be blown out of proportion and become a civil case."

Ok. Those above are the facts. Now is my opinion:

1. I'm guessing that the accounts might show a series of $40 fines, that being the 'standard procedure' at that time. It's two people's words, and if the two $80 fines were not recorded, then that is where a case can be built.

2. $10 Java camp fines. In this case, please note that whatever happened was behind closed doors. Truly, our words against his. Hard to prove? I don't know. I'm not seasoned lawyer.

3. The mini-fines. This in our favour, since according to Mr. Lim some of the other teachers already "heard about it". The case might start from here.

4. I still have my mind on the phishing incident. That one is hard to prove, because ignorance is a good claim. I do not know. If I were a lawyer I would argue, what are the chances that an IT expert with running his own IT company allowed phishing code on his website for at least 7 days?

Also keep in mind that that this 7 days is the time from anonymous tip-off to time when action was taken (website shut down).
-------------------------------------------------------

Ok. To conclude, PLEASE DECIDE ON THE COURSE OF ACTION.

1. For the Chinese High side, my impression is that more or less they already hold negative views towards ilango. I don't know if that is solely Jeffrey Lim's opinion. "In fact if he come to us we won't do his business". I never ask for elaboration. If you'd like, we can request a formal statement from the school explicitly stating disapproval of ilango. Obviously the most they are comfortable in going could just be telling us in an informal manner. Formal statement = possibility of legal action.

2. Since Ilango's company has dealings with some MOE schools. We can choose to send forward these letters directly to the MOE schools. Then also to MOE itself. Think about this carefully.

Remember that the only remaining evidence that the school can provide us is (A)accounts information, and (B)teacher testimony. That's all. They are probably not going to formally support nor deny our testimonies. The most we have is our own mouths. Please decide. Also note that I was never fined. So it's your decision to make. But if we go all the way obviously I will face the consequences together, being the chief instigator (nice word).

If you are already happy enough that the school (at least informally) seems to agree with our assessment of Ilango, then yes we may stop here. If not:

Obtain some accounts information + teacher testimonials, add to Ilango letter, then forward to MOE.

Think about it first, then we'll come up with something. Meanwhile if you have any friends well-versed in law, I will want to seek their advice.
--------------------------------------------------------

11 Comments:

Blogger fone said...

Few points to note too.

1) Sending to school is always safer as the school will most likely protect its students and will keep matters low-profile, so there wont be much repurcussions.

2) Send to MOE and more ppl will get to know about the matter. If its false, Ilango can come back n sue u for defamation. U got money to fight?

3) U want to get statements from other teachers. U think they would want trouble? "Heard about it" is not very strong evidence either, as oppose to witnessing it.

BTW, I nv heard of any student needy fund lor. Jeffrey made it up?

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

2) and 3): yes. those are the main points to consider.

the student needy fund thingy is the policy for this few years. not in our time.

11:05 PM

 
Blogger fone said...

Sorry, I missed the "For these few years"... So Jeffrey's reply (1) is as good as no reply.

For the part under "my opinion":
1) Even if the $80 fines were not recorded or even if none of the fines were recorded, it is still "our" word that we were fined (and their word that we were not fined).

4) Phishing claim: got what proof other than the tip-off?

6:43 AM

 
Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

Oh no lah, Jeffrey Lim said that to assure us that what might have happened before will not happen again.

1)-->correct. Still our word.

4)-->no concrete proof that he did it. arguable.

8:29 AM

 
Blogger qwergo said...

Just wondering (actually I wondered from the start but never bothered to ask): what you really want to achieve from this? The case here is ilango abused his authority and pocketed our money, so do you want to get the money back, or you want the matter publicized so he can never go out to work and cheat people money again? Or you just want the school to know that such a thing occurred so it won't happen again? Then maybe we can decide what to do next.

My personal opinion: I don't really see any point in pursuing the matter any further. Actually to be honest I don't see the point in pursuing it in the first place but since I was one of the so-called victims and you all needed people to justify the case I gave my support. Honestly I don't really care about what happens to ilango now. Maybe he screwed up my life a little before, but now I just want to forget about him and get on with my life.

11:08 AM

 
Blogger fone said...

Haha, I watching alot of Cold Case files on TV now. 10 years after committing the crime, the suspect gets nailed and is found guilty... mayb we are on the same track?

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Gilbert Lim said...

Dunno Singapore got Statue of limitations or not

10:49 PM

 
Blogger TriCeo said...

singapore got raffles Statue

12:14 AM

 
Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

MEMEME
oops wrong place

11:30 AM

 
Blogger omfgima1337hax said...

lol... if ilango wants to sue u for defamation he better be packed with lotsa money and time.

its not down to the defendant to prove what he (the defendant) says is right but the plaintiff to prove what the defendant said is wrong. unless ur the gahmen, then this does not apply to you, cause gahmen has more $$ than you and will win by dragging the case on and on till the lawyer bills heap up and u go bankrupt. thats why many people who get sued for slander/libel just pay the damages instead of going to court. in the end it becomes a game of who has more money to outlast the other guy.

knowing ilango he would not be
1) able to afford the money to hire a lawyer for a libel case
2) would not want to spend the money on a court case which is unable to net him money in the long run

so u can strike 2 off your list and next time anyone whos not a millionaire (in liquidible assets, i.e. bonds, shares, savings) tries to say "I sue for slander!". You can tell them in the face to go fuck his/her mom/dad for he/she is an incestrous dog.

P.S. slander is verbal defamation and libel is via a medium. correct that if people start to get stupid :)

2:39 AM

 
Blogger omfgima1337hax said...

You need character witnesses (of Ilangos character). People like Jennie and Joseph will help since they are Med students (i.e. great integrity *cough*)

And I'm pretty sure a lot of people got fined back in those days. I used to see shit loads of people get fined everyday. I remember i got caught once.

I told NEO to fuck off. But I do remember paying minifines back in those days. something like 1 dollar for doing something wrong or what not. cant remember the specifics

2:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home