Planescape: Torment
I just finished this game...hmm, really not bad. This RPG is really du2 yi1 wu2 er4, one of a kind...the graphics suck (it was made in 1999), the gameplay sucks--alot of irritating bugs made me want to bang the monitor, very few exciting battles, in fact a guide said there are only FOUR compulsory battles in the whole game. However, the best thing about this game--the dialogue--is truly exceptional.
When I play other RPGs I usually skip alot of the dialogue, especially those jap RPG with stupid one-liners in blue boxes. The creators of Torment estimated the word count in the game to be *one million*, and most of it could have turned out to be a whole load of crap in the wrong hands, but really, the dialogue was often interesting, sometimes funny, and occasionally, breathtaking. It made me go "wow". I don't think any other game I've ever played had such good writing.
If you can endure the tedious gameplay, the sucky graphics and the weird party members (a floating skull, man on fire, the girls either got wings or got tail), then yes, this game is worth it, just for the writing alone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home