tok cok sing song play mahjong

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Money over Lives

Friday • June 24, 2005 -- Today
I REFER to the small fire that broke out at Plaza Singapura on Tuesday night. While it was rather scary being at the scene, I thought the building's staff and management reacted quickly and professionally.However, I'd like to draw attention to a dangerous and irresponsible act by one tenant.A friend and I were having dinner at the Swensen's restaurant when the fire broke out.Our dinner had only just been served and we had barely started eating, but it was smoking and there were requests on the public address system for everyone to leave immediately.So, the customers in Swensen's got up to evacuate the site.At this point, the staff of Swensen's blocked the way and insisted we pay before leaving.This meant that around 30 people had to wait in line to pay, when the building had already been evacuated and smoke was filling the restaurant!The manager told us they were given 15 minutes to collect payment before allowing us to leave.The 15 minutes could easily have cost lives. What if something had exploded? Or if children had passed out from smoke inhalation?I am disgusted at this ridiculous prioritising of money over life. I hope something can be done to prevent such irresponsible acts from occurring again.
Letter from NICHOLAS TAN WEN-YU

And the reply from the restaurent:
Swensen's sorry, offers sweetener(Weekend - June 25, 2005)
WE refer to the letter by Mr Nicholas Tan Wen-Yu, "Fire! But they were told to pay first before leaving" (June 24). We have taken a very serious view of this matter and would like to assure Mr Tan and all our customers that in such a situation, our utmost concern would always be the safety and well-being of both our customers as well as our staff. This cannot be compromised.At the time the evacuation order was made, there was already a queue at the cashier's counter. Diners were then advised that there was an evacuation. Our managers at that point tried to clear the process of cashiering quickly and were perhaps over-zealous in trying to close as many bills as possible. In an event of an evacuation, our procedure calls for ceasing all activities immediately and this would include payment settlement. We apologise for the distress caused to Mr Tan and all other customers who might have felt the same. Our safety procedures, among other standard operating procedures, form part of our managerial staff training. Nevertheless, a retraining process and a reiteration of customer safety measures is being immediately undertaken and we have made it more comprehensive and added more focus to this aspect.We will endeavour to continue to provide a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for all our diners at all times. We have certainly learnt from this experience. The management and staff at Swensen's Plaza Singapura sincerely apologise for the distress caused, and this weekend, would like to extend a waiver of service charge to all customers.

So this is Singapore for you. Money matters, nothing else does.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

Eh. U wana...

I would like to say something about the last line "So this is Singapore for you. Money matters, nothing else does."

Eh. Swensen already make apology liao leh...those in charge will gana retraining liao leh, so afterwards these ppl at fault, will CHANGE u geddit? They will CHANGE FOR THE BETTER! Give them a chance man! Come on leh! Don't like this leh! GIVE CHANCE LEH...

1:11 PM

 
Blogger TriCeo said...

its the humchee manager who dun dare to make the decision of asking all customers to evacuate immediately. I'm sure what went thru his mind at that time was that if he let the customers leave wifout paying den he scared he cause the restaurant to incur loss n kana fired. Do wat u think is rite, defend ur belief later, but not always.

1:15 PM

 
Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

I think fear is okay...at least better than evil. That means he didn't purposely want them to die or something. I dun think is as bad as "money matters and nothing else", i.e. GIVE ME ALL YOUR $$$ b4 U DIE DIE DIE!

1:20 PM

 
Blogger TriCeo said...

But such stupid decisions and needless fear can kill. Kana fired den kana fired lar, if the company really liddat u still want to work for dem meh? tamade!

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

I agree lah..but if you're down there maybe u see the fire is small thing maybe the manager see already think is small thing only mah..

2:29 AM

 
Blogger qwergo said...

Cancelling Credit Cards - Priceless

This is an actual conversation recorded by Citibank customer services. The moral being when you die, be sure to cancel your credit cards.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, And then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00.

A family member placed a call to Citibank:

Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."

Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."

Family Member: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."

Citibank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"

Citibank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"

Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"

Citibank: "Excuse me?"

Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"

Citibank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January."

Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."

Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"


Citibank: (Stammer) "Are you her lawyer?"

Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew." (Lawyer info given)

Citibank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"

Family Member: "Sure." (fax number is given)

After they get the fax:

Citibank: "Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."

Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."

Citibank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."

Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?"

Citibank: "That might help."

Family Member: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."

Citibank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"

Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?

1:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home